Sunday, October 30, 2011
Child Proof Your Outlets
If you're having children or currently have young children in your home, taking measures to child proof your electrical outlets can keep your children safe and save you money on your energy bill. Simply putting a child proof plug into the outlets could save you 5% on your energy bill each year, and that certainly adds up!
Running air leakage tests on your exterior walls could show you that electrical outlets can be one of the biggest leaky culprits! When you're working on child proofing, work on plugging air leaks too with these five simple steps!
1. Turn off the power to the outlets you'll be working on.
2. Remove the outlet covers.
3. Place a foam gasket over your outlet. These can be purchased at any hardware store. These can prevent heat from leaking out in the winter and cold from leaking out during the summer!
4. Replace the outlet covers and screw them securely back into place.
5. Insert your child proof plug.
Voila! You've got yourself child proof electrical outlets and a new way to save money on your electric bill!
For more information, contact us at BSD Electric!